The Department of Wastewater is responsible for the sewer collection system and wastewater treatment facility for the city. This includes but is not limited to the construction, repair, operation, maintenance, and management of public sewer mains, treatment facility, sludge landfill, and lift stations throughout the city.
Potential Sewer Blockages
If you suspect that you have a potential sewer blockage at your property please notify the Wastewater Department at 774-203-1820 first so we can dispatch a service crew to your address and determine if the blockage is in the sewer main in the street or in your service lateral that connects to your home. After 4:00 P.M. or Holidays and Weekends please call 508-761-5168. If the answering machine picks up, please leave your Name, Address of Blockage and Phone Number and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Do not attempt to remove any clean out caps in your basement or outside before a determination can be made of where the blockage is. Failure to do this could result in sewerage backing up on your property or into your home.
Applications & Permits
- Small Pump Station Requirements (PDF)
- Industrial Pretreatment Spill and Slug Prevention (PDF)
- Industrial Pretreatment TTO/Solvent Program (PDF)
- Instructions for Reporting a Sanitary Sewer Overflow (PDF)
- Toxic Organics List (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Abatement Policy (PDF)
- Industrial Pretreatment Signatory Form (PDF)
- Industrial Pretreatment Fact Sheet (PDF)