Historic Burial Ground Cleanups
The Attleboro Historical Commission welcomes local community and youth centers to clean up the following historic cemeteries in the city:
- Coombs Burial Ground
- Dodge Island Burial Ground
- Follett Family Burial Ground
- Peck Burial Ground
- Solomon Burial Ground
- Thayer Burial Ground
Cemetery Cleanup Guidelines
- The Commission encourages spring and fall cemetery cleanups, including weeding, raking, cutting of small saplings, and collection of trash and plant debris, which should be placed in separate disposable bags.
- Your group must make arrangements through the commission for trash pickup by The Attleboro Department of Public Works. It may keep and redeem recyclable bottles and cans.
- Perform cleanup and maintenance work with the utmost respect for the deceased.
- Do not alter the cemetery in any way without prior approval from the commission.
- Use caution and care during cleanup work to ensure that no damage is done to any grave or cemetery makers.
- The Commission will provide your group with written guidelines (& on-site supervision, in some cases) if your group wants to clean, reset or straighten gravestones.
- Please follow the basic rule of "do no harm" in performing cleanup and maintenance work, preserving the historic nature of the cemetery and leaving the site in as near original condition as possible.