When should you consult the Conservation Commission?
Anytime you plan to work within the 100-foot buffer zone of a resource area, 125-foot buffer zone of a vernal pool or within the 200-foot riverfront area, you should first consult with the Conservation Commission. Permits will be necessary if the proposed activity is determined to have a likelihood of impacting wetland resource areas, a fact which may be determined by the filing of a Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA). In response to this filing, the Commission generates a Determination of Applicability (DOA), stating whether the work may proceed, any recommended conditions for that work or if further permitting is required.

In addition, both new and redevelopment of sites may require a storm water permit, with the notable exceptions of single family homes, development of the lesser of 2,500 square feet or 25% of the property area, redevelopment of less than 2,500 square feet, normal maintenance/improvement of land for agricultural use (see The Wetlands Protection Act for definitions of “agricultural use”), and emergency repairs to existing buildings, roads, drainage systems or storm water management facilities that may pose a hazard to public health and safety.

When in doubt, our Conservation Agent or Assistant Conservation Agent will be happy to consult with you and answer your questions. For detailed information, please contact the office.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Conservation Commission and what does it do?
2. What is the Wetlands Protection Act?
3. What resource areas are protected under the act?
4. How do I determine if there is a resource area on my property?
5. What is protected by the Local Wetlands Protection Ordinance?
6. What is overseen by the Stormwater Management Ordinance?
7. When should you consult the Conservation Commission?